10 minutes to prepare / 50 minutes to bake / 4 servings
If you personally know. me, you would know I am a chicken wing addict. If I could, I would eat spicy wings 24/7. Grilled, baked, fried – doesn’t matter, I would lick the plate. However, since I am trying to reduce my meat intake and be more healthy, I had to start looking for alternatives to my loved chicken wings. (Also, chicken wings are high in calories…so yeah, an alternative was well needed.)
For a while now I have seen the idea of cauliflower wings floating on the internet quite a lot. So let’s see if they can convince me to give up on chicken wings!
- 1 cauliflower head (4-5 cups of florets)
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk (I have used oat milk)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegan butter or margarine
- 1 cup hot sauce (I have used Peri-Peri sauce, but any kind of hot sauce works)
How to prepare them:
- Line baking sheet(s) with baking paper and preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Wash and cut cauliflower head into bite sized pieces.
- Mix all the ingredients (minus the vegan butter and hot sauce) into a bowl. The batter should have the consistency of a smoothie – not too thick but also not too thin.
- Dip each floret into the batter and coat evenly.
- Lay the florets in an even layer on the baking sheet (do not overcrowed them).
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown, flipping the florets over half way through to get all sides golden brown and crispy.
- While the cauliflower is baking, melt the vegan butter in a small saucepan on low heat and mix in hot sauce. Remove from the heat just as it starts to melt. Stir together and set aside.
- Once the cauliflower is done its first bake, dip the florets in the hot sauce and coat evenly. Bake in the oven for another 25 minutes, flipping the florets over half way through.
- You can serve them with your favourite dipping sauce. (Sauce ideas: ranch, garlic mayo, tzatziki, BBQ sauce or ketchup).
While these cauliflower wings were delicious, I did not feel like I was eating chicken wings, the texture was not similar at all. I will eat spicy cauliflower again for sure, but I will also try and find a better alternative to chicken wings.
If you know a vegan recipe for some delicious chicken wings, please let me know!